Wed, Jan 13|
Winter Retreat Uposatha Program
Join in Dhammadharini’s winter retreat by joining for practice on the Uposatha lunar observance days.
Time & Location
Jan 13, 2021, 7:00 PM – Mar 28, 2021, 8:30 PM
About the Event
Since the Buddha’s time, on the Full Moon and New Moon days, monastics and householders have gathered on the Uposatha. The monastics recite their precepts and listen to Dhamma talks, and dedicated lay practitioners undertake the Refuges and Eight Uposatha Precepts for one day, including evening fasting, celibacy and abstaining from adornment and entertainment. They have a daylong retreat, spending the day in sustained mindfulness and meditation, and listening to Dhamma teachings.
Dhammadharini’s founding teacher, Ven. Ayya Tathaloka Theri, wishes to encourage everyone who can to join in undertaking a practice commitment together during this year's winter retreat, from near and far, wherever you are. In support of this, she will offer fortnightly Uposatha moon day teachings throughout the winter retreat to those who join in the practice commitment together. We invite you to commit to a practice for this time - this could be as small or as large as you wish. If your life circumstances allow, you are invited to follow along with the Dhammadharini community for the full retreat, listening to the same audio teachings we will be practicing with, and joining our online teachings together.
We welcome you to share in Dhammadharini’s winter retreat by joining for practice on the Uposatha lunar observance days:
- Join online at 8:30am with Ven. Sucitta Theri to undertake the Three Refuges and the Eight Uposatha Precepts, noting Uposatha precepts automatically expire at the next dawn. (During Ayya Sucitta’s personal secluded retreat time, Ayya Sudhamma will serve as our guest teacher offering the Refuges and Uposatha Precepts.)
- Dedicate yourself to ethics, Dhamma and meditation practice throughout the day.
- Join online at 7pm-8:30pm with Ven Tathaloka Theri for meditation, Dhamma talk and Dhamma discussion. (During Ayya Tathaloka's time of secluded retreat, meditation teacher in Ayya Khema's lineage Leigh Brasington will lead this program.)
These are the Uposatha observance days:
- New moon Wednesday January 13
- Full moon Thursday January 28
- New moon Friday February 12 (East Asian Lunar New Year)
- Full Moon Friday February 26 (Sangha Day Magha Puja / Mahapajapati Parinibbana Day)
- New moon Saturday March 13
- Full moon, Sunday March 28 (End of Retreat)
During the retreat, the Dhammadharini community will be practicing with teachings from the late most venerable Ayya Khema. If you wish to join, this document shows the schedule of talks we’ll be using and provides links so you may download the audio.