Vassa Uposatha Program
Time & Location
About the Event
Since the Buddha’s time, on the Full Moon and New Moon days, monastics and householders have gathered on the Uposatha. The monastics recite their precepts and listen to Dhamma talks, and dedicated lay practitioners undertake the Refuges and Eight Uposatha Precepts for one day, including evening fasting, celibacy and abstaining from adornment and entertainment. They have a daylong retreat, spending the day in sustained mindfulness and meditation, and listening to Dhamma teachings.
Dhammadharini’s founding teacher, Ven. Ayya Tathaloka Theri, wishes to encourage everyone who can to join in undertaking a practice commitment together during this year's Vassa, from near and far, wherever you are. In support of this, Dhammadharini will offer fortnightly Uposatha moon day teachings throughout the Vassa, exploring our Vassa practice theme of Cittanupassana (Mindfulness of the Mind and States of Mind).
We invite you to commit to a practice for this time - this could be as small or as large as you wish.
We welcome you to share in Dhammadharini’s Vassa by joining for practice on the Uposatha lunar observance days:
- Join online at 8 - 8:30am to undertake the Three Refuges and the Eight Uposatha Precepts, noting Uposatha precepts automatically expire at the next dawn.
- Dedicate yourself to ethics, Dhamma and meditation practice throughout the day.
- Join online at 7pm-9pm with for meditation, Dhamma talk and Dhamma discussion. These programs will be offered by members of the Dhammadharini Vassa community and other special invited guest teachers.
These are the Uposatha observance days:
First Month: EXPLORING THE HINDRANCES & DISENTANGLEMENT
- Aug 8th New Moon: led by Ven. Tathālokā Therī
- Aug 22nd Full Moon: led by Ven. Sobhana Therī
Second/Middle Month: EXPLORING THE EXALTED STATES OF MIND
- Sep 6th New Moon: led by Ven. Sobhanā Therī
- Sep 20th Full Moon: led by Ven. Tathālokā Therī
Third and Final Month: EXPLORING FREEDOM
- Oct 5th New Moon: led by Ven. Sobhanā Therī
- Oct 20th Full Moon: led by Ven. Tathālokā Therī*
These teachings are offered freely and joyfully as the highest gift of Dhamma Dana - in the Buddha's way. There is never any charge for programs or teachings offered by Dhammadharini.
If you would like to join in supporting the work of our bhikkhunī teachers in sharing the Dhamma and/or to support our monastic community, please see dhammadharini.net/support. Thank you and anumodana for all of your support.
We look forward to having you join us!